Friday, May 27, 2011

Valued? Valued.



It has been 10 months since I first started writing this blog and this morning as I woke quite early I began to think about the journey of these 10 months.  It certainly has been a transitional time for me in my life and a time of great growth for me as well.  A group in the Detroit area has put out this campaign of "2wordstories"  The stories speak of a changing life and that change being brought around by God.  So this morning I was going through and watching the "stories" and deciding what my story was.  What was the word that struck the chords within my heart and then I happened upon, "Valued? Valued."  This man's story is a bit different from mine.  I didn't change schools frequently and I didn't have multiple sex partners, but I certainly was searching for value in all the wrong places.  My weight, my attitude, my insecurities...all of them had to do with struggling to see my own personal value.


You see for many years now in my prayer time and time spent with my spiritual director and prayer groups when we would pray the Lord would give this vision of the gem.  The Lord had to form it, wash it, and polish it over the years, but recently the vision was of a brilliant gem shining in all of it's glory.  This vision grew with me as I grew with the Lord.  I realize that for the first time in my life I have value.  Not because I have begun dating someone or because I have lost almost 50 pounds.  No, my value comes from knowing that I am a daughter of the Most High God and He has created me with value and worth.  Accepting that has allowed me to realize that I am valuable.  Not in the selfish or self centered sense, but in the sense that I am comfortable with being who God has called me to be and I don't have to try to be someone or something else.  My value comes from God.

Now I would be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that getting a gem ready for sale isn't a grueling process.  It's painful to be sanded, have dirt removed, and the be shined up, but God has sent me some of the most wonderful people to help me get through the process.  So many friends and family, my late spiritual director, Diana, various clergy members, and many books have aided me along this journey. 

So this morning I am reflecting on my value.  I realize full heartedly that I am a child of God and even though the road isn't always easy, and my brilliancy still gets smudged and dirty with my human imperfections, I can rest assured knowing that I am His creation and He loves me just the way I am.  I pray today that you know not only your value, but encourage you to think about your "story."  God has a plan for all of us, may you know His love and peace today.

No comments:

Post a Comment